01 June 2012

OK, so it may be a stretch, but just go with it....


If you read David Wees’ blog and were appalled by the statistics and the comments at the bottom, then you must be a teacher.  I would also like to reference that the McKinsey Report is from McKinsey and Company, a group that David Coleman worked for with public health information.  On the note that teachers are the lowest group of graduates from college-Most of us are double majors, which have multiple practicums.  Not saying it allows us to make lower grades, just acknowledging the fact that time can equal grades.  Anyways, what do you call a doctor who graduated last in his class?  Doctor.  You do not know if your phycisian was first or last, you just know if they can take care of you well.  Same with teachers, it does not matter if they graduated with a 4.0 or 2.0, as long as they can teach.  The real problem with the system is that too many teachers are not in it for the right reasons, and are giving teachers “bad reps”.  The Common Core does nothing to improve teacher quality and instruction, leave that to McREL, but that is another corporation overhaul for education...

One thing that I failed to mention in my previous post about succeeding in business is networking.  It was instilled in me through Teaching Fellows and I try to make as many connections as possible.  I am a name dropper.  I’m sorry if it offends you, but who I know, may get me to know who you know.  Where did I get my great bank job?  From my step mom.  What about my summer job in college?  Oh yeah, my step dad’s old company.  So obviously when I look at the list of people working on the Core Standards, there must be networking….

David Coleman says he comes from educators.  His mom, Elizabeth Coleman, has been president of Bennington College for 25 years.  She is popular amongst the TED group for revolutionizing higher education.  With 822 students enrolled on campus and $43,000 tuition (sans room and board) you have some freedom to try new things.  Not discounting what she does at BC.  I thought about applying there in high school.  I would just like to make the point that what works for her, will work differently at UNC. But I digress…

Having a mom who is president of a college, but has little to no classroom experience is not a line of educators.  Also the fact that your teammate, Jason Zimba, worked for your mom, now makes our National Standards, a Bennington College mastermind?

Now again, I’m all for networking.  It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.  If you go to Achievethecore.org and read, it is about how awesome Common Core is from Student Achievement Partners, Coleman and Zimba’s company.  If you read their teacher testimonies, they are all America Achieves fellows, which is a fellowship granted through Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Bloomberg Philanthropies that supports teachers who support Common Core. 

While I’m talking about who ya know…who does David Coleman know at Collegeboard?  He will be the president of the educational company responsible for Advanced Placement (AP) tests and the Scholastic Aptitude Tests (SATs).  Makes sense that the guy who is writing our standards and telling us how to teach them, would also be the one to write the tests.  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/education/david-coleman-to-lead-college-board.html 

Remember my financial policies?  I really hate how I pay sales tax on everything in NC, and only on “non-essentials” in MN.  It should be the same in every state.  Not only am I going to get my friends in college who were business majors to help me, but then we are going to design the software for your POS or Sysco station to calculate the tax. 


No comments:

Post a Comment