I'm at the hospital, not for me, with a friend. I'll update about her nausea and abdominal pain later (hypothesis is appendix, but really we're hoping for just BGs).
Here is what happens though.....
Go in to ER. Everyone looks at you like you are crazy. Apparently you only go to ER if they deem you to be an emergency. My friend was not, but they escorted us to check in. We waited for about 5 mins before they took care of her health insurance forms. They called her back to triage, which is where they took her temperature and blood pressure. That's it. Then they sent us to the doctor. The doctor looked at her (before the nurse) said all was fine, but he wanted samples and an ultrasound. We did the samples, well she did them I stood there. We left for a couple of hours and went back for the results. Because this time we were there at night, the wait was a little longer, but she saw her doctor from earlier in the day, and a new doctor in an hours time. She then went to the pharmacy and got her meds (nothing serious, but so glad we went to the hospital) and well...that was it. It cost 5BD ($13). The only annoying thing was that we had to leave and come back.
Quick facts about hospitals in Bahrain:
- Nurses wear suit jackets made out of scrub material over their cutesy scrubs.
- You queue for everything with a number. And they ring an annoying doorbell to update you on which number is up...hope you don't have a headache!
- You are constantly on the move. I thought I would sit and wait for a long time with her...it wasn't even worth it to set up my computer.
- I watched a guy pass chocolates on a tray to the staff . I'm serious.
- They have modesty nurses. A person who is meant to protect your modesty. My friend had a male doctor with a female nurse in the room. The nurse pulled my friends shirt up for the doctor...that's it. We have a friend who had her gallbladder taken out last year and she had a nurse primarily meant to keep her covered the entire time.
- Security is not big at the hospital...we walked where ever we wanted to
- I already said it but 5BD....for the whole day....awesome